Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pleased to meet you!


As this is my first post on the PhillyJobs blog, I figured I'd spend it introducing myself to you, my fellow Philadelphians.

I'm Sandy Smith, and I'm in the same boat you are. Or, at least I assume you're in that boat, for otherwise, I suspect you'd be reading Philebrity right now instead of this blog full of advice and information for job seekers.

I am a writer and editor by trade, a journalist by disposition, and a public relations and marketing professional by career. You may have seen some of my work if you attended or worked at the University of Pennsylvania or Widener University in the late 1990s and early to mid-2000s, or if you read the Metro Commentary page of The Philadelphia Inquirer from about 2005 to 2008. I've also written for the Philadelphia CityPaper, PGN, and several Web sites, including this one now.

My most recent full-time position was as a senior marketing writer for a software company in Yardley. The company had been shedding employees for a few quarters when, just after 2009 got started, my number came up. Since then I've been seeking full-time work while test-driving the freelance life.

Freelancing has its pleasures, like the ability to work in your bathrobe and slippers if you feel like it. It also has its hazards, most notably the absence of steady, dependable work. But some of the habits one must develop as a freelancer, such as the need to constantly sell oneself, can also be useful in the job search.

But enough about me - this blog is really about you. You may be, as I am, coping with a changing industry, or you may be in an established field that is merely in a period of retrenchment. You may be a seasoned veteran, or you may be fresh out of college. What we all share is the desire to make a useful contribution to society through work. As someone who's been through this before, I hope that the personal observations I share can help you on the path to a new job or even career; I'll also share with you things I find elsewhere that I think might be of help. It might be interviewing tips one day and information about the metropolitan job market the next, or it might just be something that I think you might find amusing - after all, looking for work is hard work, and we all need to keep our spirits up during the journey.

And I want to hear from you too. Share your stories and questions with me; a good blog sparks conversation between writers and readers.

Finally: My being here itself is proof that it is indeed an ill wind that blows no good. I got this gig after I applied for a job opening at Beyond.com. They preferred someone else for the position I interviewed for, but offered me this opportunity after reading my writing. The moral? Don't pass up on any opportunity - you might just end up with a sweet consolation prize!

Are you looking for a career in Philadelphia? Check out http://www.phillyjobs.com/


By: Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith is an award-winning writer and editor who has spent most of his career in public relations and corporate communications. His work has appeared in The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia CityPaper, PGN, and a number of Web sites. Philly-area residents may also recognize him as "MarketStEl" of discussion-board fame. He has been a part of the great reserve army of freelance writers since January 2009 and is actively seeking opportunities wherever they may lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment