Thursday, October 21, 2010

Is online education the way to go?


So you are thinking about going back to school so that you can advance in your job but your schedule is jam packed. What do you do? Do you just put off going to school until you have more time? What about your career? Do you put it on hold until you have more time, too?

The answer to both, in my opinion, is NO. If advancing your career is based upon increasing your education and knowledge, it would be best to find time in your schedule to do it. Maybe you will have to give up one or two things but you can always pick them back up after you complete school.

Okay, so now you have decided to open up your schedule so that you can go to school. What is next? Most colleges offer both traditional and online classes. Some schools allow you to complete courses on your own schedule as long as they are completed within a certain timeframe. Others require you to stick to a schedule whether in a traditional setting or online. This sounds really good, doesn’t it? You could take courses online and never have to step into a classroom! However, as great as this might sound, it is not for everyone.

I earned my Master’s Degree through distance education (basically online). I completed one course every eight weeks while working and traveling. Typically, in a master’s program, the college assigns you to a “work group” – a peer group if you will and these are the people you spend the next 18 months to 2 years with. However, if you choose an online option, you have to do all of the work on your own. In my case, this included having to write a minimum of one report every week plus reading and exam preparations. I had to create my own fictitious company including creating a product. Then I had to design my five year business plan and find a way to fund my company. Even though the company was fictitious, it was not easy to do this on my own. There was no one there to prod me along; no one to come to my aid when I had to brainstorm for ideas. Yes I was able to complete my education without stepping into a classroom but it was a very lonely and tough road.

Online education truly is not for everyone. If you need the socialization or camaraderie of others to stimulate your learning experience, then I would suggest that you stick to traditional education. If you do choose online education just remember that you will have to motivate yourself to get the work done. No one is going to be standing over your shoulder to see that you do it.

If you are not sure what type of education is right for you, try both traditional and online. Take one course in each and see which one you like better. Either way, if you need to increase your education for your position, don’t put it off. Get started today!

Are you looking for a job in Philadelphia? Check out Phillyjobs to search jobs and start a new career.

By: Nancy Anderson, Staff Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment