Monday, September 27, 2010

Fired Over A Facebook Status- Again!





So, it happened again. A 16 year old girl was fired from her job because she posted on Facebook that her job was boring. According to the report a CNet, Kimberly Swann wrote in her Facebook status “My job is boring.”. Her employer, Ivell Marketing and Logistics of Clacton, U.K posted this comment to her status.

"Following your comments made on Facebook about your job and the company we feel it is better that, as you are not happy and do not enjoy your work we end your employment with Ivell Marketing & Logistics with immediate effect."


I have said it before, and I will say it again: Don't post anything on social media that you don't want everyone in the world to see. It is just a good habit to get into, because a simple post can cause you lose your job and make it very difficult to find another one.

But the deeper issue is this- Where is the line between your rights as a person, and your employers right to protect their corporate image? When is checking employees social media statuses just plain snooping?

It seems like the more connected we are, the more power employers have to censor our private lives. Any negative comments or nay saying isn't allowed and even when you aren't at work, you still have to monitor what you do, say or share. Don't post pictures of yourself having drinks with your friends or make comments about how wasted you were at your friend's cookout. Any of these things could come back to haunt you.

As a first line of defense, I always recommend having a personal account and a professional account of any social networking site, just to keep things separate. But even this isn't enough to protect you or give you free reign to post whatever you like. All it takes is one person, who is friends with both your personal account and your employer or your co-worker, to comment on your status or photo and suddenly the information is visible to your professional network.

So what do we do? How do you have a private life online? What steps have you taken to keep your information private? Let me know in the comment section.

Looking for a job in Philadelphia? View www.phillyjobs.com

By Melissa Kennedy- Melissa is a 9 year blog veteran and a freelance writer, along with helping others find the job of their dreams, she enjoys computer geekery, raising a teenager, supporting her local library, writing about herself in the third person and working on her next novel.



6 comments:

  1. This is ridiculous! I could understand if she named the place she worked and said something REALLY deragatory(sp)but geez! What if she had another part time job and was talking about it? I would fight this myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have fought this as well!

    One solution that I have is that my Facebook settings are so tight that even if you do know the email address I use for it (which is not my primary email, and employers do NOT get to know what that email address is EVER), you still won't find me. I also don't go into my personal life to speak of at work, and none of my co-workers are my friends on Facebook. The only way to see my profile is to either already be friends with me, or know who my friends are. I also don't refer to my friends my anything other than callsigns. (That latter is more due to knowing too many people with the same first name, so the callsigns are more a way for me to keep the various Matts and Daves separate even in my own head.

    I also have other low-tech safe-guards in place that help to make certain that the only people who're going to see what I post are the ones that I actually want to see what I post. D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. While one is on a job, She/ he must love it. You do not always get what you love, you can always try to love what you got. I love my job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is NO WAY I would ever have any of my co-workers as a facebook friend! There's always that ONE snake that no one notices until it springs up and bites you in the ass... I keep my work life and my personal life completely separate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make sure only friends see anything NOT friends of friends. I never allow any coworkers to know that I even have time for FB. There are mahy friend requests I just ignore. People are jealous of anyone having anything more than they do and that includes fun, money and a private life. The work environment has become one where people will pull you down to make themselves look better so trust nobody! Stay positive!

    ReplyDelete