Wednesday, June 23, 2010

10 Questions to Ask at Your Next Interview

During an interview, I always have focused on trying to best answer the questions that the interviewer has for me without visibly sweating, stammering or otherwise making a fool of myself, but I had not given much thought to what questions I ought to be asking. There is always that part in the interview when the hiring manager asks me if I have any questions about the position or the job descriptions, and I ask one or two basic questions and say something like, “No, I think you have already touched on the ones I had, thank you.” It's a cop-out, I know, but sitting in that chair focusing on trying my best to get the job, I forget that I want to be sure that the job I get is going to be the right job for me. I don't want to be miserable in a job that is ill-suited to my abilities and end up looking for another job in a very short time.

It is easy to see that in this difficult job market, every minute of an interview is crucial and you can't afford to miss an opportunity to set yourself apart. Employers are looking for candidates that are poised, motivated and able to think on their feet, so stumbling through this last part can ruin your chances to get hired, and also prevent you from finding out if the job is going to be a good fit for you. When we are unemployed or desperate for a career change, it is all to easy to try hard to get hired that we don't care about the details of the job. So, along with practicing your answers to the frequently asked interview questions, make a note of the questions to ask your interviewer.


  1. Why is this position open?

  2. Can you describe a typical week in this position?

  3. How would you describe the company's management style?

  4. How would you describe the culture here?

  5. How is success in this position measured?

  6. What are the biggest challenges someone in this position might face?

  7. What does the company do to motivate and challenge its employees?

  8. What do you think are the main responsibilities someone in this position would have?

  9. Is there anything in my resume and job experience that concerns you or makes you question my fit for this position?

  10. When do you expect to make a final decision?


These types of questions help you to impress upon the interviewer that you are serious about the job opening and are putting in the time to find a position that offers you the right fit. By asking questions, not only can you get the information, but you have a chance to restate (briefly) your qualifications and show your interviewer that you are not desperate and are determined to find a career not just another job. You want to show them that you are the right choice for the position and that they are the right choice for you.

By: Melissa Kennedy

Melissa Kennedy is a freelance writer, volunteer, parent and jobseeker

No comments:

Post a Comment