Monday, January 10, 2011

The Keys To Making Resolution's Stick

At the start of every new year, I always make a whole bunch of resolutions. Wide-eyed and inspired by the idea of a fresh new year laid out in front of me, I can't seem to keep myself from thinking of all the things I wish I could achieve. I list them all, from the simple to the more complex.

But, by this time every year, I, invariably, have broken several resolutions and rationalized a few others away completely. Sometimes, I place the fault on the resolutions themselves. I figure that perhaps I was being a little overly zealous. That maybe I was aiming a bit too high, and so I end up marking that one off the list. But this year, I wanted to do something different. This time, I wanted to actually end up keeping a few of my resolutions.

To help with that task, I took a look at an article from PsychologyToday, that deals with learning to stop procrastinating on your New Year's resolutions. Their ideas were so great, I felt like I had to share. So, if you are like me, this information might help you stick out your resolutions.

Tips for sticking to your resolutions:

  • Make your resolutions achievable, measurable and meaningful – Whatever you decide to work on this year, make sure that it is something that has a clear cut definition of success. This will make the goal more clear. For example, a resolution like “Be a better person”, is too vague and doesn't give you a clear, achievable goal, whereas “Be more compassionate towards my spouse” is a more well-defined goal. Of course, you would still need to narrow it down to determine what being more compassionate would look like.

  • How strong is your commitment? – Often, we make resolutions to lose weight, quit smoking or get in shape. These sound easy to achieve, but real self-improvement is hard work and takes a lot time and effort. So, assess how strong your commitment is, because if you aren't committed to doing whatever it takes to achieve the goal, then you aren't ready to turn it into a resolution.

  • Plan your success – Most resolutions fail because there was no clear plan to success. So, break down your big goal into smaller, more attainable goals as part of a success strategy. Take your goal and list the step necessary to achieve it. Make room in you plan for dealing with potential setbacks. If you have a plan of action ready ahead of time, they are easier to cope with.

  • Watch out for rationalization – One of the things you will have to be prepared for, anytime you make a change, is that silly voice in your head that gives you excuses. The voice will give you a reason why you shouldn't try to deprive yourself. That there is time to work on it later, it isn't a big deal. It will make promises you know it can't keep and assure you that you don't have to do it all right now. Most everyone breaks their resolutions and besides, wouldn't it be better to go to the gym in February or March when the other people have stopped going and it is less crowded?

  • Reward yourself – Set up a series of rewards for reaching small goals. When you create multiple incentives, it can keep you from feeling overwhelmed. It is a good idea to tie these rewards into your daily activities so that you will start making them habit. For example, if you reward yourself by reading the newspaper after you exercise, the new fitness routine is more likely to become habit.

  • Accept discomfort – Making changes isn't always easy. In fact, most of the time it is really, really hard. Accept that the new habits will feel strange and uncomfortable at first. When you go ahead and plan for the discomfort and make it part of your expectations, you will have a greater chance at success.

  • Don't take on too much – It is tempting to make a whole bunch of resolutions, but dealing with change takes a lot of energy. Making multiple changes can make your brain overwhelmed. So, try to focus on just one at a time.

Making resolutions stick is certainly a challenge, but one I hope that I am strong enough this year to overcome. One of the best pieces of advice I have received is to look at what it is you want to change, and ask yourself why you have this problem to begin with. Often, you will find that the reason you haven't been able to make it stick is because of an underlying fear. Making the fear your resolution would give you a chance to experience real success. For example, if my resolution were to get my novel finished, and I never seemed able to get a good start, it might be that I have an underlying fear of success or criticism. If I made getting over the fear into my goal, the novel would get done faster, because I wouldn't be trying to get it done while fear is constantly undermining me.

Whatever your resolutions are this year, good luck! I hope you achieve all of your goals this year.

What is the best advice about sticking to your resolutions that you have been given? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

Are you looking for a job in the Philadelphia area? Be sure to visit PhillyJobs.


By Melissa Kennedy- Melissa is a 9 year blog veteran and a freelance writer, along with helping others find the job of their dreams, she enjoys computer geekery, raising a teenager, supporting her local library, writing about herself in the third person and working on her next novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment