Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Lights, Camera, Action! Do You Fancy a Career in the Film Industry?


While launching a career in the film industry may seem like a far-flung endeavor, there are numerous people who are currently employed by the film industry in the United States. That said, while not everyone is starring in or directing the latest and greatest blockbuster Hollywood movie, they are enjoying their work in this industry to a great extent.

In order to get started in the filmmaking industry, it is a great idea to attend film school as this type of education can teach you a great deal about filmmaking and the film industry in general.

“Going to film school was the best decision I made for my career. When I started at the Academy of Art University, I never though I would be at the level I am now. I have learned more than what I ever imagine about the business and I can say that I am truly ready for "Hollywood", says Keely Stanley, Creative Producer of the movie, 4th Down. “My professors are producers, writers, and actors who actively work in the industry. I am currently working closely with a popular Hollywood director and if I was not in school, I would not have this amazing opportunity.”



To obtain admission into film school, you must of course have the talent, drive, and determination to succeed in this creative yet challenging field. As film schools do vary with respect to the qualifications that are needed to gain admission into the programs, it is important that you research this information thoroughly. For instance, some film schools may ask that you complete a standardized admissions test while other schools may ask for a certain GPA and/or relevant film experience.
Of course, besides creativity and drive, you must also understand the business world as in most situations, the film industry is run in a corporate fashion.

“There is a CEO aka Executive Producer, a boss aka Director, employees aka actors or film crew members,” explains Stanley of the movie 4th Down. “Basically the common knowledge that is required to be successful in the everyday business world would be almost identical to a film set work environment. Be on time, be a team player, and be creative!”



Wise advice indeed!



Ready to supercharge your job search? Visit PhillyJobs.com.






Larisa Redins is a full time writer and editor with degrees in both Arts and Biological Science. She writes about career issues and other topics for a variety of international websites and magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment